LOCATION: CA-SAN FRANCISCO-SF REP OFFICE
Business Development Manager - Open Platform
USA - BBVA OP3N, INC
At BBVA, we are leading the transformation of global banking with the aim of bringing the opportunities of this new era within everyone's reach. We are a global financial institution present in 30 countries with over 75 million customers. We are a bank with over 126,000 employees across the world and every one of those employees is leading and designing his/her professional career with the help of tools provided by the organisation to make that happen.
Corporate responsibility is an intrinsic part of our business model, promoting inclusion and financial education while supporting research and culture. Being part of BBVA means developing your career in one of the most innovative companies in finance.
We started out with the spirit of helping others make the best financial decisions. That spirit remains with us today and encourages us to keep moving forward, prioritising innovation and digital transformation so that we can bring the opportunities of this new era within everyone's reach.
Our values define our identity; they are what drives us to make our goals a reality and they guide all of our actions and the decisions we make.
- The customer comes first.
- We think big.
- We are one team.
Open Platform, BBVA’s Banking-as-a-Service platform, enables innovators to build the next generation of financial services. We're looking for someone to help grow our list of large corporate clients and associated revenue by working as part of the Sales and Business Development team to identify relevant prospects, develop relationships with decision makers, ideate relevant use cases, collaborate with stakeholders from within the Open Platform team (Operations, Marketing, Product, Risk & Control, Finance) and from BBVA USA to identify solution structures and BBVA assets that facilitate signing clients to contractual agreements that include utilization of Open Platform’s products and services in the United States.
The role will be responsible for owning Open Platform’s business development strategy into large corporates and nurturing relationships with the internal BBVA stakeholders necessary to execute complex payment and white-labeled financial services deals in a smooth, client-friendly manner. The information you gather from prospects will be used to inform Open Platform's product development roadmap, provide customer insights to Risk & Control partners and provide competitive intelligence on other players in the market.
In the first 30 days, you will be expected to gain a deep understanding of our API-driven services and capabilities to develop prospecting theses and strawman use cases. Within 60 days, you’ll be expected to have identified key industry segments to target and a tactical plan of how to target prospects in those verticals. You will also have dived deeply into their payment and white-labeled financial services needs to lead conversations with plausible use cases/solution structures. Within 90 days, you will be expected to have developed the market insight necessary to be an Open Platform evangelist.
- Drive engagement and development relationships with decision makers at relevant large corporates to enable ideation discussions on how BBVA Open Platform’s BaaS products/service fit into their product roadmap or could generate substantive returns via integration into their existing product or introduction to their customer base
- Develop detailed value propositions for large corporate prospects to incorporate BBVA Open Platform’s BaaS products/service into their existing products or augment their current product offerings and convince them to sign contractual agreements that drive meaningful revenue for BBVA Open Platform
- Collaborate intimately with Open Platform’s Client Operations, Product, Risk & Compliance, Legal and Finance teams to develop feasible solution structures, identify/address roadblocks and develop deal economic structures that create mutual value for Open Platform and our clients
- Nurture close relationships with BBVA USA’s Commercial Banking relationship managers, Treasury Management officers and Corporate & Investment Banking team that allow you to work closely to identify relevant prospects within BBVA USA’s existing client/prospect portfolio and develop solution structures with Open Platform and broader bank capabilities that drive meaningful value for the prospect
- Utilize/develop relationships with ecosystem partners such as consulting companies, VCs, etc. to nurture referral leads from these channels
- Seek out and coordinate response to relevant large corporate RFPs for payments/integrated banking services capabilities.
- Periodically refresh Open Platform’s large corporate business development strategy and prospecting tactics, as well as the tools we use to facilitate those tactics
- Ideally 3-6 years previous experience in business development, management consulting, investment banking or a similar field; previous experience with a fintech, payments and/or SaaS company is a strong plus
- Strong financial deal modeling experience (in Excel or other tools) to clearly communicate the economic drivers of potential solution structures to various parties
- Previous experience negotiating complex contractual agreements, including managing the amendment process and communications with clients/partners and legal counsel (both internal and client’s)
- A genuine interest in fintech, financial services innovation and/or payments and the emerging open banking/banking-as-a-service sector
- A demonstrable history of proactive achievement (admittedly vague; we're open to whatever awesomeness you have to share)
- The ability to quickly develop a solid understanding of Open Platform's products and services, as you'll need to be able to have detailed conversations about our APIs, including their features, functionality and capabilities, as well as the underlying bank program services that we provide, with Product heads, COOs and CEOs of large corporates, fintechs and digital commerce companies
- An inquisitive and fearless approach to prospect conversations. You are intensely curious about prospects’ business models, growth opportunities and product roadmaps. You’re able to ascertain prospects’ true needs and qualification for Open Platform's services by asking insightful questions.
- A detail-oriented, problem-solving mindset to understand and communicate prospects' critical product needs and concerns, troubleshoot and find answers (via internal or external resources) to clients' roadblocks to Open Platform adoption and provide actionable data to the other Open Platform stakeholders
- A competitive drive to do what it takes to achieve the team’s goals associated with driving client adoption and revenue growth
Note: Required to meet credit history and criminal background requirements associated with Nationwide Mortgage Licensing System and Registry registration process, to include FBI fingerprint criminal history report and review of credit report
Note: Must meet credit history and criminal background requirements associated with Financial Industry Regulatory Authority registration process, to include FBI fingerprint criminal history, review of credit report, civil litigation, liens, and other public records
At BBVA, we are proud to be a company that prioritizes diversity, inclusion and equal opportunities, regardless of the race, age, gender, ethnicity, disability, religion or sexual orientation of our employees and collaborators. Corporate responsibility
is an essential component of our business model, as we promote financial education and support research and culture.
Being part of BBVA means developing your career in the company that is leading the transformation of the financial sector.
Pay Transparency Policy Statement
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor's legal duty to furnish information (41 C.F.R. 60-1.35 (c)).
Individuals with Disabilities
BBVA Compass, BBVA Securities Inc., and BBVA S.A. New York Branch invite all interested and qualified applicants to apply for employment opportunities. If you are a U.S.-based job seeker with a disability who is unable to use our online tools to search and apply for jobs, please contact us by emailing: email@example.com or by calling toll-free (in the U.S.) 1-844-664-9275. Please indicate the specific type of assistance needed*.
*The disability access telephone line and email address are reserved solely for job seekers with disabilities requesting accessibility assistance or an accommodation. Please do not call about the status of your job application if you do not require accessibility assistance or an accommodation. Messages left for other purposes, such as following up on an application or non-disability related or technical issues, will not receive a response.
BBVA Compass, BBVA Securities Inc., and BBVA S.A. New York Branch have a firm and unwavering policy to provide equal employment opportunity without regard to age, citizenship, color, disability, ethnic origin, gender, gender identity and expression, marital status, nationality, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, genetic predisposition, protected veteran status, or any other status or classification protected by federal, state or local law. This policy includes all job groups, classifications and organizational units. With regard to employment, this policy extends to applicants and covers our recruiting, hiring, promotion, transfer, demotion, discipline, termination, benefits, compensation and training practices as well as social and recreational activities.
View the "EEO is the Law" & "View the EEO is the Law Supplement Poster" poster. BBVA Compass, BBVA Securities, Inc., and BBVA NY are equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.